Hey everyone! Welcome to another installment of the SAHD recipe. Today, I’ll show you how to make another very easy meal – Tuna Kimchi Stew. I love kimchi, but my wife and son can’t stand it. During the lockdown, I learned how to make DIY kimchi so I have plenty to use. Occasionally, the kimchi would ferment in the fridge a bit too long and gets too sour. This is the perfect time to make kimchi jjigae.
This version is a bit lighter than the usual kimchi jjigae I’ve had at the restaurants, but it is really tasty. Even my wife who hates kimchi, enjoys it. I think the cooking process gets rid of the sourness (lactic acid). I made a quick video so check it out at the end of this post. RB40Jr basically made this one. Unfortunately, he didn’t like it because it was too spicy. Luckily, I made some gyoza for him.
*See video at the end of the post. Oh, this recipe was totally stolen from Maangchi. I’ll link to her site at the end of the post as well.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
This makes about 4 servings.
- 1 pound of kimchi
- 1 onion sliced wide
- 2 green onions sliced about an inch long diagonally and 1 chopped for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Korean chili pepper (more if you like spicy)
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 cup of water
- 1 package of medium firmness tofu
- 2 cans of tuna packed in water*
- Optional – gochujang If this is the first time you make this, I highly recommend skipping the gochujang. The dish has a lighter texture and it’s already really good. I tried adding gochujang when I had leftover and that’s good too.
*Tuna – I use a mix of solid and chunk. I think that works really well. You get both textures.
- a big saute pan
*I add these links to Amazon so you can see what the ingredients look like. These items should be much cheaper at your local grocery stores.
- Add kimchi and kimchi brine to the saute pan.
- Add onion, green onion, sugar, salt, chili, and water.
- Turn the heat up to medium and cook for 25 minutes.
- Turn the heat lower if it’s boiling too much. Put the lid on and open it a crack.
- After 25 minutes, add tofu.
- Make space in the middle and add the tuna there.
- Cook for 5 more minutes
- Garnish with chopped green onion. Done!
- Serve with a steaming bowl of rice
- If your kids don’t like spicy food, make a plate of Trader Joe’s gyoza for them. But make them try a bit of the stew first.
Video at YouTube
Please hit the Like button for RB40Jr.
Maanghi’s recipes. I love her. She is an awesome cook.
Chamchi Kimchi Jjigae – her video is much better than ours…
Easy kimchi – I use this recipe to make kimchi. It’s pretty easy.
Source: Retire By 40
Republished by Blog Post Promoter