Hey everyone! Welcome to another installment of SAHD Cooking. Today, we’ll cook bacon kimchi fried rice! Yum. This is the first time I cook this dish because I’m the only one who likes kimchi. Mrs. RB40 and Junior don’t like kimchi because it’s sour. He said kimchi tastes like lemon with bitter melon and metal… However, the fried rice is easier to eat. Once you cook kimchi, it becomes a lot less sour. Check out our video at the end of the post! Also, let us know what we should cook next.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (3 servings)
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped up
- 1 cup of kimchi, chopped up
- 1/2 cup of kimchi juice
- 1-3 teaspoons gochujang
- 4 cups of leftover rice
- 1 green onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Nori and sesame seed or furikake
- 3 eggs
- salad greens
- a skillet or wok – I love my Lodge carbon steel skillet. It is so much better than a nonstick pan and I can use a metal spatula on it. Also, I can stick this in the oven to finish off a steak. It’s a great skillet.
*I add these links to Amazon so you can see what the ingredients look like. These items should be much cheaper at your local grocery stores. These are affiliate links and we may receive a referral fee if you buy something from Amazon.
- Chop up kimchi, green onion, and bacon.
- Turn the stove on and set it to medium and warm up the pan/wok.
- Add bacon and cook for a few minutes.
- Add rice and stir it in.
- Add kimchi and cook for a minute so it’ll dry out a bit.
- Add kimchi juice and gochujang. Stir fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Cook the eggs on a separate skillet.
- Put the kimchi fried rice on a plate. Add the egg on top. Add some green salad on the side.
- Sprinkle some nori and sesame seed (or furikake) on the egg and kimchi fried rice.
Video at YouTube
Please hit the Like button for RB40Jr! And subscribe to our channel if you enjoy our videos.
Kitchen tools recommendation
- Skillets – I love our small Matfer Bourget black steel pan. We use it to cook eggs. It is so much better than any nonstick pan. These carbon steel skillets will last forever, unlike the nonstick pans. We also have a bigger Lodge carbon steel pan. It isn’t as nice as the Matfer Bourget, but it is more affordable. You can’t go wrong with either. Although, if I had to do it over, I’d splurge and go with Matfer Bourget. It’s just nicer and I use the pan very often. It’s worth paying more.
- Knives – My favorite kitchen knife is our 5″ Calphalon Santoku knife. I use it for almost everything. If I need a little more power, then I use our 6″ Calphalon chef knife. That one is Mrs. RB40’s favorite. You really only need 2 knives in the kitchen.
- Rice cooker – I cook rice very often so a good rice cooker is a necessity. I know many people rave about the Zojirushi rice cooker, but I don’t like the nonstick inner pot. Those nonstick surface never last. So I went with the TATUNG rice cooker instead. The inner pot is stainless steel and it should last forever. It makes great rice. They also have a smaller/cheaper 3 cup version. I think we got our cooker when it was on sale. The price seems high at Amazon. You should check the price on newegg.com.
Source: Retire By 40