Hey everyone, welcome to another installment of SAHD recipes. Today, I’ll share my super-secret Soft & Crunchy Taco recipe. This is the ultimate SAHD taco. It’s easy to make and the kids will love it. Take it from RB40Jr, he gives it 5 stars. This is pretty rare because my cooking is usually a bit different from the standard American fares. For RB40Jr, this one is right up there with my burgers and pizzas.
Usually, I put pictures with the SAHD recipe posts, but this time we made a video instead. I think it turned out pretty well. Crazy enough, RB40Jr got the first taco injury ever captured on video. He’s so accident-prone… Check out the new video at the end of this post.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning – DIY recipe below
- 1 lb ground turkey
- Optional – 1 8oz can of tomato sauce or tomato paste + water.
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
DIY taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- A little chili powder – I used ¼ teaspoon here.
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
*We usually cook pretty mild food. If you like more intense flavor, you can double it and add more salt/chili powder.
- 1 large avocado or 2 small avocados
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Soft tortillas. I like the small street tacos tortilla from Mission.
- Avocado dressing – Normally, we just use Greek yogurt or sour cream. This time we had avocado so Mrs. RB40 made this.
- Lettuce – butter lettuce is good here.
- Cheese – You can use any cheese you like. I used cheddar and Junior went with parmesan, his favorite cheese. He puts parma or everything.
- Doritos – my secret ingredient. You can use your favorite flavor.
- Spicy taco sauce – My current favorite is Trader Joe’s Spicy Taco Sauce. It’s great. It’s similar to Taco Bell hot sauce which I love. Check it out if you haven’t tried it. Otherwise, you can go with anything available at the market like La Victoria or Taco Bell sauce.
*I add these links to Amazon so you can see what the ingredients look like. These items should be much cheaper at your local grocery store.
- Heat up your skillet. Put a little oil in the pan and add onion. Stir around for a minute.
- Add garlic, oregano, and taco seasoning. Stir for just a few seconds.
- Add ground turkey and break it up. Cook until the turkey is about done (no longer pink.)
- Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, and cider vinegar. Cook it down for a minute or two. I like tomato sauce so I put the whole 8 oz can in. If you’re not a big fan, you can add half a can or just skip it.
Eat by 40!
Now, we need to put the turkey taco together and eat it.
- Warm up the tortilla in the microwave.
- Put down a tortilla.
- Add a little avocado dressing.
- Add taco meat.
- Add lettuce and cheese.
- Add broken up Doritos. Don’t crunch it into powder. Just break it up a bit.
- Add taco sauce.
Enjoy your delicious tacos!
If you like this post, subscribe to our new YouTube channel – Eat by 40! I’ll do cooking demos, share our travel, review eateries around the world, and more. Thank you!
Source: Retire By 40
Originally posted 2020-01-12 01:30:14. Republished by Blog Post Promoter